The Diaconate Mercy Committee is a ministry that reaches out to people in the Hixson Presbyterian Church congregation and beyond who are in crisis or in challenging circumstances and offers help in assessing their needs and working together to find solutions. Our purpose is to show God’s love and mercy by trying to help people out of difficult circumstances. If you would like Diaconate assistance please follow one of the paths below.
members or regular attenders
The Mercy Committee will try to assist you as needs are identified and as resources are available. If you are facing financial, medical, or other issues that are beyond what you can handle please fill out a Diaconate Assistance Request form (linked below) and e-mail it to office@HixsonPres.org or drop the request by the church office. A Deacon will evaluate the issue and advise you as to how we might be able to help and suggest a plan to move forward.
Use the Public Services Helpline – call 211 on your phone. The United Way’s 211 program (a United way of Greater Chattanooga service) is an information and referral service where you can get help just by dialing 211. Whether it’s a problem finding quality, affordable childcare or overcoming a family crisis, 211 is there to connect people to human services that can meet their needs. There are some areas where 211 is not yet available. Residents in these areas may dial: 423-265-8000 or 1-866-3035.
If the 211 services are not able to help you please fill out a (linked below) form and e-mail it to email@example.com or drop the request by the church office. A Deacon will evaluate the issue and advise you as to how we might be able to help and suggest a plan to move forward.
The desire of the Meals Committee is to minister to the members of our church as we serve and support one another in times of need. We seek to facilitate in such a way that the congregation is inspired to, “[b]ear one another’s burden, and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Gal. 6:2).
WHEN WE HELP
- Deaths- Depending on the family’s preference, on behalf of the church, the MC member delivers either a church freezer meal, or a large cold-cut platter and sets-up a meal calendar (3+ meals as needed)
- Births- MC sets up a meals calendar for 1-2 weeks of meals as needed (total of 3-6 meals). Family’s small group provides any additional meals.
- Crises- MC sets up a meals calendar for 1-2 weeks of meals as needed (total of 3-6 meals). Family’s small group provides any additional meals as needed.
- Sickness and other needs-MC encourages the congregation to call or text the family’s close friends to arrange a few meals that best fit their friend’s needs; the MC will fill in or support as needed.
- Long-term need-If there is a long-term need, please reach out to a member of the Meals Committee and we will connect with the individual or family to make sure we create a calendar that best suits their needs.